Saturday, June 27, 2009

PARSONAGE PONDERINGS

Compiled by, Darlene G. Snyder

By Connie Coppings
Paintsville,Ky


There are parts of ministry that are complex, and sometimes somber. I feel it is important to talk about those times, for it seems we can get overwhelmed by the chaos and tragedies we deal with in the lives of our congregations.
As partners in ministry, my husband and I have committed to be there for those we serve. However, we also knowwe need to lighten up every now and then so that our bodies and minds will be better able do those difficult things. We do a lot of laughing around our house so I thought I'd share something on this blog that might bring a moment of laughter for you.
If you're in ministry, you have no doubt attended a potluck meal ( or 2, or 5, or hundreds) at some point in your ministry. My husband and I often laugh at how our clothes seem to "shrink" after these dinners and we always vow that we're going to get motivated to do better next time. After a recent potluck---and a failed attempt on my part to be disciplined---I sat down at my computer and wrote the following piece. It's a humorous look at how easily we lose our motivation when faced with "temp-taste-tions" such as Margaret's Death by Chocolate Cake, Mrs. B's Crunchy, Crispy Batter Fried Chicken, Opal's Cheesey Baked Corn Pudding, Evelyn's Layered Brown Sugar Apple Pie (with pecans). Need I say more!! Hope you enjoy the article.

MOTIVATION GOES COLD AT THE FRIG DOOR
I paused in my bedroom closet the other day, gazing at my "smaller sized" summer wardrobe. Cotton blouses of rose, lavendar, and yellow, an ocean blue pants suit, and slacks neatly hanging there waiting for me to lose "just five more pounds." My mind wandered to the dates of our upcoming vacation to see my husband's family and a nephew's wedding a few weeks later. Just a few pounds less, take off a few inches here and there. . . .
Suddenly a spine tingling feeling swept over me. What was this episode of visions and emotions? I stood frozen---lost in the moment.
A clear vision of fresh, crispy garden salads, stir fry veggies, lean meats, low-fat desserts---all in correct portions, of course---and a regular exercise plan came into view. Yes, the image of a slimmer me materialized before my eyes. I could see myself walking into a room wearing one of those smaller-sized outfits causing others to gasp in wonder at who this beauty was before them. Envious onlookers would offer such questions as, "What's your secret?" or, "How'd you do it?"
My smaller figure would no doubt be a boost to my self- confidence. I would have all the energy I needed to accomplish everything in my busy pastor's wife's schedule. I was headed for victory this time: I could just sense it.
Absolutely nothing was going to stand in my way. Spurred on by this motivational momemt, I proceeded down the hall to clear my kitchen of any unnecessary calories. On the way I passed the bathroom door, catching a glimpse of the scales I'd bought a year ago to monitor my weight loss. I stepped on them. The numbers began spinning past me at a rapid climb and quickly passed the number I "knew " I weighed. I made a mental note to have my husband adjust them so they'd weigh more accurately.
Finally arriving at the kitchen, I threw open the refrigerator door. Wait---another feeling began to wash over me. My new found motivation was being ambushed by the tantalizing scene before me. Macaroni and cheese casserole, the roast beef leftover from the potluck at church, Praline Pecan Ice Cream, and brownies---all beckoned me.
They seemed to say, "Surely you wouldn't throw us out. Remember all the stress you felt the other day and how we helped you through it."
Oh dear, maybe I shouldn't throw it out. After all, there are all those starving people in other countries. I'll just sit down and have a brownie while I think about all this motivational stuff.
Where, oh where did my motivation go? If you happen to see it, just hold onto it until I finish my brownie. You know, some of that Praline Pecan Ice Cream would go good with it too.

May God empower each of you with the disciple to take care of your body in such a way as to honor the Lord. May you sense His presence with you in the good and bad times of your ministry.