Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Parsonage Ponderings

Compiled by, Darlene G. Snyder

by Connie Coppings
Paintsville, KY

We've had some dark stormy days lately and I've longed to find a book to read that would encourage my heart. I wasn't in the mood for fiction or something deeply theological, just something that would speak to my inner being.

As a writer, I love to read all kinds of books, but every now and then I think a little selfishly and want something "just for me." I have found there aren't a lot of books written that specifically speak to the role of a pastor's spouse. Believe me, I've looked in many bookstores. When I ask the owner if they have anything on that subject, I usually get, "No, really don't see much on that topic."

I've done some searching on the Internet and found some titles that I'll share with you all in hopes that one of them may speak to your need. It would be nice to have a way of interacting with other pastors' wives so that we could share information and encourage each other.

Some book titles I've found:
Married to A Pastor: How to Stay Happily Married in the Ministry by H. B. London and Neil Wiseman
So You're the Pastor's Wife by Ruth Senter
Being a Minister's Wife and Being Yourself by Nancy Pannell
Devotions for Ministry Wives: Encouragement for Those Who've Been There by Barbara Hughes
High Call, High Privilege by Gail MacDonald
I'm More Than A Pastor's Wife by Lorna Dobson
Moving On After Moving In by Susan Miller

And some Internet sites for pastors' spouses:
www.sarahstent.com
www.justbetweenus.org (magazine for pastors' spouses)
www.pastors.com (by Karen Warren from Saddleback Church)
www.parsonage.org (Focus on the Family)

Of course, our best resource is Jesus Christ and His Word. Because of our busy schedule, I'm often tempted to neglect my time with God and hurry to get all my things completed. Sometimes I come to the end of a day and think I've accomplished a lot, but then I remember I never got around to my devotions. Somehow all that work I did doesn't seem as satisfying when I realize that I put that before Him.

I pray that something I shared this day will be an encouragement to you. Would love to hear what resources you've found that have been of benefit to you. Wouldn't it be great if we could sit down over a cup of tea and share our hearts!

May your heavy hearts find refreshment and may you be encouraged that all you do is not in vain my fellow servants.

No comments: