Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Does a Pastor's Wife Really Need Inspiration?

By, Darlene G. Snyder

Pastors' wives (PW"S) aren’t much different from other wives. Even so, their duty in the church and home is unlike most. Responsibilities differ from those not serving in this capacity. Most PW's have concerns, fears and a strong desire to serve Christ. Their spouses often must put others first. Interruptions in their family life are common occurrences.

Traditionally, the wives are considered part of the package with their pastor husbands. Usually, the first question someone will ask when interviewing a prospective pastor is, "Does your wife play the piano?"

Before two weeks was up, I believe everyone in the first small church my son served asked April, his wife that very question. Eventually they learned she had no real musical talent.

The new pastor's wife generally faces expectations to be a super pastor's wife. Many balk at that expectation and will quickly refute those expectations. Others though, fall to the demands of the church and then they don't know how to find relief. These pastor's wives are the ones who end up rattled and frazzled.

Yes, PW's need inspiration. Who should inspire the PW? The simple answer is, other PW's who are serving in the same or similar role. That's where this blog comes into play.

As a bit of history, a few years ago when my daughter-in-law became a new PW, she was clueless as to what to do or where to turn for advice. I searched our local bookstore and Amazon.com for a suitable book to purchase as a gift to her. I didn't find what I was looking for so I began a compiling advice from PW's across the United States.

What I discovered in the process is that there are many PW's in need of inspiration. Going through the process, I thought that other PW's would learn from and gain inspiration through these submissions. That is why I'm here. To share with you, The Pastor's Wife the information and advice I uncovered in the process of putting this book together.

If you like what you read here, please forward the link to this blog to your friends, write a comment, or send me an email and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Darlene

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Such a sweet ministry of encouragement. Thanks Darlene.